Back in the house we were renting, the hot water heater failed, and began leaking onto the floor.
Unfortunately, the floor drain was not located in the low-spot, and the water was not draining into it. To make matters worse, I didn’t have any garden hose that I wanted to cut up, or anything really.
So here’s what I did!
Duct taped one of Ella’s place-mats onto a cardboard tube, supported by a garbage bin, and surrounded by towels.
The only bit of hose I could find luckily had the right fitting, and attached to the drain. Once I figured out how to open the drain, I then had to sit there and keep the hose raised so that the water would drain.
As the tank slowly drained, I discovered that the shutoff valve on the inlet to the tank had failed, and so the entire house was draining out through the stupid tank. So I shut off the house water, and waited and waited.
The landlord had it replaced very quickly, and we were back in business.