Here is a description of my position, given to me to review by the Business Support Manager (i.e. person who manages the human resource pool for project managers):
This position will involve working at a customer location for long term support of real-time technical and business solutions and includes system maintenance, and troubleshooting, problem resolution and follow-up, software development, display creation, and database configuration. While supported by a highly skilled team in Calgary, this position will be fairly autonomous requiring a dynamic individual. This position will analyze client business requirements, provide integrated software or hardware solutions and assist in developing long-term client relationships, including:
- Building customer relationships in an International Environment, including non-North American cultures
- Responsible for maintaining system functionality while performing maintenance activities in a critical system environment
- Analyze reported customer problems to quickly and efficiently define and communicate an appropriate course of action.
- Estimate and obtain customer buy-in on a course of action.
- Implement the defined solution and testing requirements
- Apply in-depth technical knowledge and diagnostic understanding to resolve some highly complex client problems.
- Capture any key learning and or root cause data for Customer reporting and for the Company’s internal knowledge base
- Design and implement new application functionality on client systems using new technology solutions and standard designs and methodologies.
- Carefully manage requirements documents and customer expectations.
- Documenting technical solutions and test plans for customer future internal benefit.
- Perform system, database, application, and network capacity planning for clients
- Integration of Telvent applications to third party and client developed applications
- Integration of PLC/RTU and telecom equipment to Telvent applications
- Maintaining customer satisfaction in the execution of assigned duties
- Providing after-hours support as necessary
- Extensive International travel will be required
- Providing assistance and mentor junior staff
Pretty accurate. For my exact position, I'd add:
- Manage, supervise and coordinate sub-contractors
- Present the formal face for the company during visits from dignitaries
- Be able to operate in countries where most of locals outside the workplace do no speak English
- Be adaptable to customers rapidily changing needs, especially in the area of communications
- Be able to provide rudimentary training to the customer